Friday, June 12, 2009

♥ Serenity!!


In my role as a wife, mother and a keeper of home I enjoy many aspects of the many and varying tasks associated with them.
One of my favourite tasks, which I rarely do any more ( (I am revising that situation is the hanging out of the washing.
To me there is nothing more relaxing, peaceful and gives me a feeling of serenity and contentment than hanging out the washing.

Due to the amount of washing that happens in a large family and therefor the time involved I have over time delegated this task to others. Occasionally when I put our the washing like I did on Wednesday(the load before the machine broke down) I am reminded of the beauty and joy in this task.

I will always remember when we moved into this VERY unfinished house, that the only clothes line we had was strung along a row of trees near our fence line.
I still remember the utter contentment of hanging that first load up on that line as well as the many after before the instilation of a 'real' clothes line.

Then of course my dear Honey and big boys designed and built a very large clothes line. A very long 66m of line space which holds a lot of clothes. However even this is often full and we have to hang up inside or wait till some is dry to hang the rest.
But I digress, all I am wanting to remark on is the serenity I felt on Wednesday doing this most enjoyable and yet in so many eyes and ways humble task that brings clean clothes and therefore order into our home.

I have long been an admirer of the Proverbs 31 woman and enjoy many of the articles and blogs addressed to her:

Proverbs 31: 10-31
An excellent wife who can find?
She is far more precious than jewels.
11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will have no lack of gain.
12 She does him good, and not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She seeks wool and flax,
and works with willing hands.
14 She is like the ships of the merchant;
she brings her food from afar.
15 She rises while it is yet night
and provides food for her household
and portions for her maidens.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
17 She dresses herself with strength
and makes her arms strong.
18 She perceives that her merchandise is profitable.
Her lamp does not go out at night.
19 She puts her hands to the distaff,
and her hands hold the spindle.
20 She opens her hand to the poor
and reaches out her hands to the needy.
21 She is not afraid of snow for her household,
for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes bed coverings for herself;
her clothing is fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is known in the gates
when he sits among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them;
she delivers sashes to the merchant.
25 Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.
26 She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
27 She looks well to the ways of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women have done excellently,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Give her of the fruit of her hands,
and let her works praise her in the gates.

So much to strive for♥♥♥

However I am also extremely moved by the passage from-- Sirach 26:1-4 and 13-16

Blessed the husband of a good wife,

twice-lengthened are his days;
A worthy wife brings joy to her husband,
peaceful and full is his life.
A good wife is a generous gift
bestowed upon him who fears the LORD;
Be he rich or poor, his heart is content,
and a smile is ever on his face.

A gracious wife delights her husband,
her thoughtfulness puts flesh on his bones;
A gift from the LORD is her governed speech,
and her firm virtue is of surpassing worth.
Choicest of blessings is a modest wife,
priceless her chaste soul.
A holy and decent woman adds grace upon grace;
indeed, no price is worthy of her temperate soul.
Like the sun rising in the LORD's heavens,
the beauty of a virtuous wife in her well-ordered home.

The beauty of a woman and her role shines forth from these passages and I am always uplifted in trying to achieve these standards.

However this is a far cry from the simple serenity I have from hanging out the washing, except in the hope I have in someday becoming like these very blessed women.♥

Blessings,

1 comment:

Kim said...

We don't have a clothesline, but I do have a tiny folding drying rack. I dried Elise's diapers in the SUN yesterday and it was so soothing to put her little diapers out rather than into the machine. Eventually I'll have my clothesline, but until then, I'll have to be content with our little drying rack. :>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...