Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Christmas Thought!

The poem below is a lovely thought for me at the moment, and I pray it will encourage you also in your vocations as well.

It is always chaotic in our home as we approach the last days before Christmas. So many traditions to uphold and lots to organise.
Last night was  a prime example of what not to do in regards to the poem below. It had been a long day with many of us rushing around and cooking and trying to get last minute things, not to mention the gifts still being made.

I think everyone was feeling a little stressed by the amount of things we had to do still. Of course when everyone is like this it does not take much to set the 'bonfire alight' I admit to being part of it and of course that is not what I really want to be like. It was a prime example of putting myself before others  and the results were an unhappy family for a while.

So in these last two days of our organisation I really will try to be more like the poem below.
Showing my love for my family as an extension of the Love I have for My Lord. I will not give in to the pressure of  'things' being more important than those that mean the most to me.....as we prepare to celebrate the glorious event of the Nativity of Christ.

1 Corinthians 13 Christmas Style

If I decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows, strands of twinkling lights and shiny balls, but do not show love to my family, I’m just another decorator.
If I slave away in the kitchen, baking dozens of Christmas cookies, preparing gourmet meals and arranging a beautifully adorned table at mealtime, but do not show love to my family. I’m just another cook.
If I work at the soup kitchen, carol in the nursing home, and give all that I have to charity, but do not show love to my family, it profits me nothing.
If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels and crocheted snowflakes, attend a myriad of holiday parties and sing in the choir’s cantata, but do not focus on Christ, I have missed the point.
Love stops the cooking to hug the child.
Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the husband.
Love is kind, through harried and tired.
Love doesn’t envy another’s home that has coordinated Christmas china and table linens.
Love doesn’t yell at the kids to get out of the way.
Love doesn’t give only to those who are able to give in return, but rejoices in giving to those who can’t.
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never fails. Video games will break, pearl necklaces will be lost, golf clubs will rust… but giving the gift of love will endure.
~Author Unknown~

I pray you also take the time to share the love of Christ with those closest to you in these pre- Christmas days.

Blessings to you and your homes,

1 comment:

Trish said...

Wow Gae, that's a great poem for helping us pull back and examine our consciences during Christmas. It's so easy to get caught up and do or say what we really don't want to because of stress :-(
I'm a shocker for letting it get the best of me before a big 'do'!
I usually need a lot of grace and self-control to avoid a meltdown. This year I'm much more laid back. Which is a good thing, because I need to just concentrate more on my hubby and father-in-law right now.
I can imagine there must be a fair bit of strain on you to accomplish all the wonderful things you've planned. I'm sure Christmas will be beautiful in your home and hopefully you'll have a good rest afterwards :-)Thanks for this post-it really spoke to me! bless you..Trish

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...