Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy St Valentine's Day ♥

Saint Valentine biography allows a peep in to the lives and times of the society and its concept of love in the days before the advent of Christ. St. Valentine and St. Marius helped the victims of persecution of Roman Emperor Claudius II. History is confused about the activities of St. Valentine as at least three St. Valentines are found in the annals of historical accounts. One was a priest in Rome, the second one was a bishop of Interamna and the third St. Valentine was a martyr in the Roman province of Africa. But there is no doubt that one St. Valentine really did exist because archaeologists have extricated from the forgotten ruins, a Roman catacomb and a church dedicated to this saint.

The martyr day of Saint Valentine was celebrated as Valentine's Day and this custom was started by Pope Gelasius in 496 AD.

St. Valentine, as he is known to the world, invited the wrath of the Roman Emperor Claudius II.

This Emperor had a peculiar concept of love, he felt that marriage and love made reluctant soldiers. This made him pass a decree that young men should not indulge in marriage. But with St. Valentine around what was the need to heed such atrocious orders?

Young couples were married clandestinely, and the going was smooth as long as the Emperor had no wind of what was going on right under his nose. But once he realized what was happening, St. Valentine had no escape from the cruel clutches of the Emperor. He was thrown in to a dungeon, clubbed and then beheaded around 270 BC.
From Saint Valentine biography: It is noted that the priest himself tasted love on eve of his death. While in jail, the jailors daughter developed tender emotions for him and received a note signed, "from your Valentine." It is exceedingly heart warming that the practice of celebrating love has been passed down from one century to another.

A beautiful poem that speaks of love not just for my dear husband but for each of those precious people in my life:
I Corinthians 13



Valentine's Day is a day of love,
For showing that we care,
And if we read the Bible,
God describes love there:
If we speak like celestial angels
From heaven up above,
All our words mean nothing
If we don’t have Christian love.
Love is patient, love is kind;
It doesn’t brag or boast;
Love conquers pride and envy;
It is never self-engrossed.
Love is not rude or angry;
Forgiveness counters wrong;
Love stays away from evil;
It sings a truthful song.
Love is full of trust and hope;
It always perseveres;
Love never fails; It’s faithful;
To the Bible it adheres.
And if you give this kind of love
To your special Valentine,
You’ll be loving right in harmony
With God’s own sweet design.
By Joanna Fuchs

and for my very own love :

Year Round Valentine
I love you all through February,
Not just on Valentine’s Day;
I cherish you when flowers of spring
Appear in the midst of May.
I adore you in the summer,
When the air is filled with heat;
Without you in my life each day,
I wouldn’t be complete.
I treasure you in fall,
When leaves are turning gold;
I loved you when you were younger;
I’ll love you when you’re old.
I prize you in the winter,
When colder days are here;
I love you, love you all the time,
Every minute of the year.
So I’ll give to you this Valentine,
But I want to let you know,
It’s not just today, but always,
That I will love you so.
By Joanna Fuchs

Blessings to you and your homes,

2 comments:

Trish said...

Hi friend,
To answer your query - yes, the quilts on my post are from my home- I LOVE heart motifs too :-D
This is such a beautiful post you've written Gae!
Lovely poetry and important information about why we have Valentine's Day.
Thank you for reminding us of the story of St Valentine and his holy martyrdom.
May you and your beloveds have a wonderful celebration during this feast, and be filled with the blessings of God :-)
Let Love rule all we do !
grace and joy..Trish

Anonymous said...

Gae...beautiful post as always my friend!

In my country we don't celebrate this day as a day of love like it is done in The States...but instead, it is a day where friendships are celebrated...

So today I celebrate our friendship dear Gae....May Our Lord continue to bless you and keep you in His Grace!

Maria.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...