Monday, March 21, 2011

Contentment................

This afternoon as I sat in my rocking chair with my mending basket by my side (plus all the piles of sorting out all over the floor), a hot drink to warm me and a favourite Christian Cd playing. I couldn't help but feel well.............quite content.

Stephen came and laid on the lounge with a book, and we spoke for a while about nothing much before he drifted off as he tends to do when reading. Our children were occupied in various pursuits: outside on the veranda with scooters and roller blades, reading favourite books, and just hanging out together.

I was able to appreciate the wonderful feeling of being in a situation where I felt at peace. A sense of being and doing exactly as I liked.

I mostly think of this as a 'Sunday afternoon feeling.'

However this feeling is not something that I think should be reserved just for Sunday.
The feeling of contentment is an appreciation of being who and what we are in the situation God has placed us, and I think would be of greater benefit if I were able to apply it to every situation in my life.

I know that some days just get so incredibly busy that it seems like a constant round of moving from one moment to the next. Yet the feeling of contentment can still be within my heart, while not to the same extent that I had today but still a large part of my general well being.Due to the fact I was relaxing, doing a passive and relaxing task; listening to music that inspires my soul and enjoying the living and loving  of those that are so special to me I think it was more apparent that these are the situations in life that refresh my soul and bring me great pleasure.

I know that in my heart I am content in my situation!
I do not crave for a different lifestyle.
I have prayers and general issues that I would like God to answer for me, very soon even, but this is not what I am talking about. The contentment I find in my lot in life is not based on my wishes and desires for the future but the thankfulness and joy I find in everyday life with my family.

Some days I do yearn for a little more creative time to myself a little more relaxation and yet this type of activity is not something I wish to enjoy outside my home environment and family circle.

I am content in this role of wife, mother and homemaker and today I was especially blessed to reflect on the beauty of the simple things in my life that bring me much fulfillment and contentment.

I am constantly amazed how my thoughts are so transparent to God and the way different aspects of my life are fulfilled. Today at Mass  we had a very beautiful song that we have had previously. Each time we sing this song I find myself  reflecting on the words and what that means for me. Perhaps this was the start of my contentment today as I was haunted by the beautiful melody and the soul searching words. Music has a powerful infuence on me and I know that the lyrics as well as the melody can give me much food for thought.

So I share them with you~

Open my eyes, Lord. Help me to see your face.
Open my eyes, Lord. Help me to see.

Open my ears, Lord. Help me to hear your voice.
Open my ears, Lord. Help me to hear.

Open my heart, Lord. Help me to love like you.
Open my heart, Lord. Help me to love.

I live within you, deep in your heart, O Love.
I live within you. Rest now in me.

Now though I must finish up my day with a few more household chores that await my attention.
So to all you have a blessed and enjoyable Sunday!

Blessings to you and your homes,

7 comments:

Sisterbrenda said...

Sounds like a good day getting some mending done...

Anonymous said...

Oh Gae...this was just beautiful!

I am also so content...for awhile there, I thought I had lost it, but nope - it is there! Praising Our Lord with you Gae.

M.

Marla Grace said...

Beautiful Gae!

Sue Elvis said...

You are blessed Gae: to be so content with your life. This feeling is so evident in all your writings and a lesson to us all. God bless.

Leanne said...

That is a beautiful relection...and I love that hymn as well.

Gina said...

Gae,

What a lovely posts. I love Sunday afternoons and days that feel like so.

Blessings,

Gina

Anonymous said...

Gae,

This was truly a beautiful post! I believe that you captured the meaning of contentment very well.

-LR

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...