Wednesday, April 20, 2011

'Lacy' - can that be me?

 When pondering LACE this evening I was struck by the beauty and yet the simplicity and versatility of what Lace (the fabric) actually is.

Truly it reminds me of my role as a wife and mother. For not only is lace decorative and so intricately woven it is unique in the role it has in our use of fabric.

A fabric so costly for so many dare I say centuries that it was only ever used in the most special and elaborate gowns and often not in large quantities. hence we see the lace colours or edged hankies that seem so delicate and yet so feminine and beautiful to look at.

So I would dare to suggest that our vocations as wives, mothers and homemakers can be compared to 'lace'. For although not everyone values this beautiful fabric and there are so many 'cheaper' version that on the surface can seem to be the real thing that it seems to have lost it's prestige in our modern society.

And yet in it's own way 'lace' is strong, as we who are following this not glorified path need to be as well. We can each within the 'dress style' of our own hearts and the gifts we have been bestowed with can bring not only beauty and resilience to those who love us and who lean on us to help and support them.....namely our families.

We can bring beauty to those mundane and everyday tasks if we simply remember that 'lace' once upon a time was lovingly crafted by hand, as we each have been lovingly created by our Heavenly Father~
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb" Psalm 139:13
and therefore each of us is indeed a  beautiful work of LACE , chosen and gifted to bring glory to God through our most humble and yet beautiful selves as we cherish our vocations as wives and mothers and homemakers.

So as I join in with  Trish in her lovely 'LACEwork' this week (click on the image below) I wish to uphold  Trish's guidelines in my own life:
"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
May your own individual LACE be an inspiration to all you come into contact with this week ♥

Blessings to you and your homes,

8 comments:

Trish said...

Oh Gae - this is absolutely beautiful!!
We are God's handiwork of grace.
These are perfectly lovely truths to treasure in our womanly hearts!
As soon as my printer is fixed I want to print this out and keep it close at hand, if you don't mind.
I LOVE it.
It really expresses so beautifully how I feel too :-)
Thank you sweet lady!
love in Jesus..Trish

Anonymous said...

Oh Gae...this is beautiful!

As a sewer, I know the value of lace and the strength of the fibers. I also know the beauty that lace brings to any garment.

Just like our lives...our strengths, our beauty - it all comes down to how tightly woven we are in His Word!

Mrs. M.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Gae, for these encouraging words, so well said.

Blessings to you and thanks for visiting. :-)

Anne ♥

Kim said...

"So I would dare to suggest that our vocations as wives, mothers and homemakers can be compared to 'lace'. For although not everyone values this beautiful fabric and there are so many 'cheaper' version that on the surface can seem to be the real thing that it seems to have lost it's prestige in our modern society."

Yes, yes, yes, and YES. Gae, you have hit the nail square on the head. :)

Pamela said...

Bringing beauty to the mundane. Those words spoke to me. I find myself hurrying through the mundane to create beauty. What you're suggesting is a blending of mundane and beauty. I'll be thinking of that the next few days.

Pamela

Anonymous said...

Gae,

What a beautiful analogy between lace and the callings of those women who are Mothers, Wives, and Homemakers! I don't know how you thought of such a creative way to describe the beauty of the calling of women, but you sure did an excellent job! :)

Blessings,

-L. Rose

Barbara Neubeck said...

Hi Gae,
I have a little plaque in my home that reads 'Mothers are like buttons--they hold things together' which I like.
I like your description of women being strong and beautiful,like lace,as well.Thank you.
God bless
Barb from Australia

Tracey said...

Beautiful, Gae.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...