Monday, April 4, 2011

Laetare Sunday ...oops we missed it!

Some days are like the nose on the end of your face for me at the moment. I know it is there but mostly I don't see it.

Yesterday and the lovely liturgical Sunday of Laetare Sunday, Mothering Sunday or Rose Sunday completely slipped my nose notice. Severe embarrassment for this blogging Mummy.

"This Sunday has been called Laetare Sunday, from the words of the introit, laetare Jerusalem, "rejoice with Jerusalem." There is a joyful tone at this halfway point in Lent. The vestments are often rose-colored. Traditionally, the Apostles Creed is "handed over" to those in the catechumens, the last step for those preparing for baptism. The Sunday is also called Mothering Sunday, named because one would visit one's mother church on this day. This day also became connected with visiting one's mother when visiting one's home parish. Various customs developed, including the baking of "mother cakes." The Sunday also goes by Refection Sunday, i.e. Refreshment Sunday, named because of the Scripture reading of Joseph feeding his brothers. Finally, it is called Rose Sunday because of the papal blessing of the golden rose, a floral spray blessed by the pope and then given to a notable person or institution."

Sure I knew during the week I had plans for this Rose Sunday and was looking forward to creating more special memories with our family, but sadly I just seem to have lost my focus over this Lenten season.

So it was with great sadness when we went to Church yesterday to not only realise I had messed up our own home plans like we did last year, but to realise there was no mention of the significance of this day at all during Mass or any reference in colour or matter at all.

I really was hoping when we started our little Mothering Sunday tradition at Church last year that we could follow it up and truly make it a yearly event.

Sadly I do not know why I am having trouble focusing on our Lenten season this year but feel a great loss for the opportunities we have missed to grow in love of Jesus.

One of the reasons I think is:  I am for the first time in my life needing some serious "mummy time alone," therefore I am implementing a "Mummy Retreat......Home style" today. 

I will let you know how it all went.

A special Mothering Sunday Carol by George Hare Leonard to enjoy~
It is the day of all the year,
Of all the year the one day,
When I shall see my mother dear
And bring her cheer,
A-mothering on Sunday.
So I'll put on my Sunday coat,
And in my hat a feather,
And get the lines I writ by rote,
With many a note,
That I've a-strung together.
And now to fetch my wheaten cake
To fetch it from the baker,
He promised me, for mother's sake,
The best he'd bake
For me to fetch and take her.
The boys will all come home from town
Not one will miss that one day;
And every maid will bustle down
To show her gown,
A-mothering on Sunday.
It is the day of all the year,
Of all the year the one day;
And here come I, my mother dear,
And bring you cheer,
A-mothering on Sunday.
Blessings to you and your homes,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gae you do so very much ! I am happy we are a day behind you otherwise I'd have missed it too !
I have had the strangest stick in the spokes type of week but shall not post about it til tomorrow .
just so tired !
I enjoyed these pictures so much in your recent posts Gae .
I've got your Easter letter all set to mail out I do hope it gets there on time ;-)

noreen said...

Hi Gae, you do deserve a mummy retreat! This Lenten season is going by incredibly fast and we're trying to do as much as we can to grow in our knowledge and love of Jesus but there never seems enough time!

Autumn said...

I'm so glad you're back downstairs!!!!! I missed you!
<3
Autumn

ccc said...

Don't feel bad--I have been there too! I'll get to Mass and the priest will mention it or my kids will tell me I missed so-and-so feast day. You are close to having your baby--that's your excuse!!

Sue Elvis said...

I haven't got any wise or interesting comment to make. I just wanted to say I have enjoyed reading your latest posts, Gae. And may God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I have been reading your blog for a while and wanted to ask for prayers. My dh does not attend Mass with us (although Catholic and we married in the Church). We have 6 children, ages 19 months to 13 years and I am sure you can imagine the difficulties incurred, also in home life. Please pray for us, because on top of this I work night shift (3rd shift) 2 nights a week!
Prayers for you, family and new baby! (My dh had a vasectomy a year ago) :((

Anonymous said...

Get the blessings from the Holy Father(POPE) in Vatican for any of your great occasions in life. Let the blessings from Vatican reach your family and home . Lead a blessed life !!

Get your Papal blessing letter now : www.vaticanblessing.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...