Thursday, October 18, 2012

Tell me a Story Please?

Yesterday I was reading a version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears from my  Seasons of Joy Spring Edition.. One of the suggestions, which I have done before with other books too, was to act the story out with some puppets.
So as I had not made any puppets I found three bears that we have around the house and a doll from the girls collection and used these with a few other small items like silk, a plate and spoon and a small basket to represent a chair.
As it was a beautiful day we went outside on the balcony and I used one of the play stands that Braedon had made years ago for a 'stage'.
The little ones really enjoyed this version of the story and the props were fun to use too.
After the story we grated some nutmeg by hand and added it to a honey milk drink.

I have never grated nutmeg before even though it is one of my favourite spices. I could not get over the beautiful aroma that was wafting around the kitchen.
As we grated we sang the little song that Annette uses
" Grate the nutmeg!
Grate the nutmeg!
Smell the nutmeg sweet.
Grate the nutmeg!
Grate the nutmeg!
Sweet enough to eat.

We made up our own tune as I cannot read music from the sheet. The children loved this activity and adding the fresh ground nutmeg to the top of one of their favourite drinks.

It is a wonderful experience to share the wonder of a story with children and then add that something extra as well.
Every time I do an activity like this ( Frances Lunch) I remind myself to keep doing it. That is until I get caught up in the basics of learning and forget to add the fun stuff.
But it is the fun stuff the kids remember and one of my goals as a mama is to make memories with the children.

What better way to do this!!
Linking with Annette today...

Blessings to you and your homes,
 

6 comments:

Emily Fay said...

Such a great idea to act out the stories! Such sweet photos!! Hope you are doing well ~

Erin said...

Oh what joy! simple easy activity:) and yes totally agree with you about the fun memories.

Grace Hincapie said...

Hi Gae,

I tagged you on my blog, head on over to check it out!

Annette said...

My little ones love grating nutmeg!
Thank you for linking up to Waldorf Wednesday and for the kind words. Hope to see you back this week!
http://ourseasonsofjoy.com/autumn/waldorf-wednesday-9/

Joy said...

What a creative way of telling a story and incorporating a related activity! Thanks for sharing it at Artful Tuesdays!

Keri @ Growing in His Glory said...

I think this storytelling approach would be great for my little girls. Thank you for the suggestion. I think we'll try it today.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...