Sunday, February 3, 2013

"Grandmother's Favourite Knitted Dishcloth"

I have been getting back into my knitting as our new year of lessons has started once again. One of the easiest things to create while I am listening to beginner readers is to knit, and I have found that  dishcloths for washing up with are the easiest thing to do while concentrating else where.


I found this pattern on line and have been using it for some time. In fact our girls have made them as gifts for each other and for me for birthdays and Christmas gifts. See how simple it is to use!

It is called "Grandmother's Favorite Dishcloth" and there seems to be no one who is certain who created this pattern.
It certainly has been around for many years and very available on line.  I thought I'd share it here as it really is a quick and simple knitted project, especially for us beginner knitters!

Materials:
4 ply or 8 ply Cotton (I have used both and am loving using an 8ply organic cotton at the moment)
4mm needles. I am still in love with my bamboo needles.

Instructions:
Cast on 4 stitches

Row 1:  knit 4

Row 2:  k2, yo, k to end of row
Repeat Row 2 until you have 45 stitches on the needle.

Row 3:  k1, k2Tog, yo, k2Tog, k to end of row.
Repeat Row 3, decreasing each row until you have 5 stitches that are left on the needle.

Row 4:  k2, k2Tog, k1

Bind off the 4 stitches.
Tidy up the loose ends and.............

Done!
Put immediately into use or save for a gift.

Abreviations:
K - knit
YO - Yarn Over, which increases
k2Tog - Knit 2 Together, which decreases



Blessings to you and your homes,
 

1 comment:

Eva said...

Gae, I love this one! I will have my daughter make one when she is done with her horse she is knitting right now. Thanks for posting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...