Sunday, December 22, 2013

Maybe Christmas means a little bit more.....

These last few days of Advent  have been quite trying in varying ways.
We have had sick children with a nasty vomiting and diarrhea bug that has required lots of attention and care.
Many last minute details to take care of and errands to run. Children to run about to various places and then trying to get the cooking and sewing done. Also an emotional Mama with some other issues.
I was hoping to have a lovely Advent memory on the blog this year but as my time has been used else where I have found that this has not been possible.

So in my own way I have found that the below poem has some meaning to me in the fact that I can't do all the things that I need or want to do and so this little piece of me has come last 
BUT I do feel that it has been important to be there for our children  and attend to their needs both physically and emotionally as well as the wonderful learning we have achieved this Advent with our study.

So just for myself as a  reminder I share these words of wisdom..........

Christmas Version of Corinthians 13:

If I decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows,
strands of twinkling lights and shiny balls,
but do not show love to my family,
I'm just another decorator.

If I slave away in the kitchen,
baking dozens of Christmas cookies,
preparing gourmet meals
and arranging a beautifully adorned table at mealtime:
but do not show love to my family,
I'm just another cook.

If I work at a soup kitchen
carol in the nursing home,
and give all that I have to charity;
but do not show love to my family,
it profits me nothing.

If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels
and crocheted snowflakes,
attend a myriad of holiday parties
and sing in the choir's cantata
but do not focus on Christ,
I have missed the point.

Love stops the cooking to hug the child.
Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the spouse.
Love is kind, though harried and tired.
Love does not envy another's home
that has coordinated Christmas china and table linens.

Love does not yell at the kids to get out of the way,
but is thankful they are there to be in the way.
Love does not give only to those who are able to give in return; but rejoices in giving to those who cannot.

Love bears all things,
believes all things,
hopes all things, and
endures all things.
Love never fails.
Video games will break,
pearl necklaces will be lost,
golf clubs will rust;
but giving the gift of love will endure.
Author?


Blessings to you and your homes,
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really love this poem! Everything it says is true! Thank you for posting it.

Simply Shelley said...

I heard that on the radio for the first time this year...so much truth in it. Praying healing for all your children,and wishing all a very blessed Christmas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...