Thursday, August 6, 2015

Crock Pot Bacon Baked Beans

Crock Pot Bacon Baked Beans 
Soak the beans  (1 kilo) overnight
In the morning rinse the beans and put them into the crockpot.
Add-
1 large can of tomatoes (800 grams I think)
1 1/2 cups of apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 cups of water
2 tsp of dry mustard
1/2 cup of sugar free BBQ sauce
2 cups of onions

Cook on high for 2-3 hours then turn to low and let simmer most of the day
When it is closer to serving up (say 2-3 hours to go) add the following ingredients.
The lady who gave me the original recipe, which I have addapted, told me that once you add the salt and sugar that the beans don't get any softer. So for a softer bean add it later.
6 tablespoons of sweeter (I used Xyliyol)
2 teaspoons salt
6 Tablespoons of molasses (this I feel is optional and can be reduced or left out altogether)
1 kilo of shortcut bacon diced up
Stir through out the day.
However it is very forgiving. I left mine unattended for 7 hours while out today and it was fine.

You can add a little more water as needed if you think it is too thick.
Eat with a slice of Rye and Oat Bread that you made earlier and enjoy!!

Blessings to you and your homes,
 
Linked to- The Art of Home making Mondays

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...