Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Desire of Homemaking

One of the things I have enjoyed since becomeing a 'blogger is the fact I can  visit those I consider kindred spirits in the blogging world.
I love sharing thoughts with those people who think like I do. I find it an encouragement to be able to glean from others and then be able to use that to help in my own vocation at home.

Some of the other areas I find helpful in this area is little quotes from books about homemaking amd motherhood.

One of the one I love is by Jane Austen ~
"There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort."

The thing I love about this quote is that she never married but continued to create a hom like atmophere while continuing to live at her parents' home, carrying out those activities normal for women of her age and social standing.

This one by Longfellow:
"Stay, stay at home, my heart, and rest; Home-keeping hearts are happiest, For those that wander they know not where are full of trouble and full of care; To stay at home is best."

I also think this is such and encourageing quote from Longfellow. It describes how home is a place to desire to be and the fellowship that it's walls create within.


I love  J.R. Miller. His book Homemaking is a delight to read with 'jems' the whole way through. Here is one of my favourites:


"She turns away from luxury and ease to the plainer home, the simpler life,
the humbler surroundings without a murmur"

I have no idea where this one comes from but it is so true:

“If we would have a true home, we must guard well our thoughts and actions. A single bitter word may disquiet the home for a whole day; but, like unexpected flowers which spring up along our path full of freshness, fragrance and beauty, so do kind words, gentle acts and sweet disposition make glad the home where peace and blessing dwell. No matter how humble the abode, if it be thus garnished with grace and sweetened by kindness and smiles, the heart will turn lovingly towards it from all the tumults of the world, and home, “be it ever so humble” will be the dearest spot under the sun.” ~

This one is from dear Gina's Blog.. I love going there for inspiration.
“. . . It is one job where you enjoy the results right along as you work.
You may work all day washing and ironing, but at night you have the delicious feeling of sunny clean sheets and airy pillows to lie on.
If you clean, you sit down at nightfall with the house shining and faintly smelling of wax, all yours to enjoy right then and there.
And if you cook — that creation you lift from the oven goes right to the table.”
~ Gladys Taber, Stillmeadow Seasons
I hope you all have a joyful and blessed weekend.

Blessingsto you and your homes,

11 comments:

allisamazing said...

Thanks for sharing those wonderful quotes.
~Alana

Kim said...

Gae, I love this post and I JUST noticed your tickers! Congratulations and we are definitely praying for #12! :D

Marqueta (Mar-kee-ta) G. said...

Dear Gae,

And I have been so blessed by your blog! I love all the quotes you shared; I shall have to jot them down in my Commonplace book. :)

Love,

Marqueta

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gae , are you expecting ? I just saw on the side Blessings due 2011 ! I do know You are already blessed with much fruit but if You are expecting , congrats to You & Your beautiful Family ☺

Kim said...

Okay, another thing; do you have a list of good homemaking books? Or books in general that helped (or are still helping) you in your vocation as wife and mom? I've had to learn a lot of things on my own (cooking, sewing, general homemaking, etc). I'd like to learn more and I love reading, so combining the two would be great!

Gentle Heart Homestead said...

I really love this post Gae :-)
All wonderful quotes and thoughts to confirm us in our roles as homekeepers. I love the longfellow quote being the homebody that I am. It took me years to agree to a trip to Tassie because it seemed so far from home lol! Much blessing be upon your waiting days for the little one you carry :-)
Trish

Gae said...

Thank you to those of you who noticed our news. Yes we are expecting our little new baby in May next year.

Dear Kim,
I do have a group of homemaking books I have collected over the years that have helped me tremendoulsy.
I too have had to learn on my own.
I will try and post a whole list but in the meantime anything by Edith Schaeffer or Emilie Barnes I would recommend.

My favourites are
The hidden art of Homemaking and What is a Family by Edith Schaeffer,
For The Children's sake and For the Families Sake both by Susan Sachaeffer Macaulay
Emnilie Barnes has so many books but my favourite is The Spirit of Lovelliness
A woman after God's own heart - Elizabeth George

Aslo Sally Clarkson has a wonderul selection too. And if you are looking at Home scholing or even not I would recommend The Wholehearted Child

From a Catholic point of view I think MAry Reed Newland's books are simply wonderful at helping create a liturgical and homely persepective.

Hope this helps
Blessings
Gae

Kim said...

Thank you Gae! We are going to the used book store today, I will look for those titles. :)

Erin said...

I can absolutely see why you love each of those quotes...they truly reinforce our efforts.

Cinnamon said...

Such a sweet focus....being a Mama, a keeper of the home.... it really is a blessing~

~Cinnamon

Marla Grace said...

Beautiful Gae!You are one of my Kindred Spirits bloggers.I am so blessed to have found you!You are a true inspiration to me.I visit here often.Blessings to you,and your family.Hope you are feeling well!Marla

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...