Thursday, February 23, 2012

Shrove Tuesday/ Mardi Gras 2012

This year for Shrove Tuesday we had a fairly simple celebration. I was trying not to get too involved as I wasn't prepared because Lent suddenly crept up on me. Surprise! Not really, it seems at the moment I am moving from one event or planning session to another.
We started off the day with some bacon and eggs which as it happens fits right into our grain free and sugar free eating habits we have started. Seriously I am just so keen to share why we have started this and have about three posts half done on this theme, but keep running out of time, so I hope to get these out before the end of the week.
The children coloured in some masks this year to decorate the all Seasons Wreath and our wall with. this year I didn't want to make elaborate masks or eve simple ones. This was as far as my imagination ran......well for a while anyway.
As I did explain in this post we made some perfume eggs for throwing so we did expand our goals for the day.
Dinner was once again simple" Sizzle Steak and home made circle chips...of course it would not be Shrove Tuesday without pancakes.
This year we did not have our traditional pancakes but had a grain free version:  with Honey cream and maple syrup on top.
The pancakes were quite yummy although smaller than what we are used to. The reason for this, well they were not able to be turned very easily, but I am thinking this may be from  the doctoring I had to do to the recipe. One of our children mixed up this recipe for the first time and I am not sure that it was done correctly.
We will be trying them again though as the flavour was very nice.
After dinner we put up some of the masks to decorate with.

So not as interesting as some of our past years but till memorable to us.

Of course we are now in Lent and I am playing catch-up with posts.
May your Lenten journey be blessed this year.

Blessings to you and your homes,
 

2 comments:

Trish said...

Have a very blessed Lent, my friend!
I'm looking forward to reading about your grain and sugar free food changes.
I know these two things can cause a myriad of health problems for many of us!
love to you...Trish

Tiffany said...

Your dinner looked delicious, Gae! i wanted to wish you and your family a very blessed Lenten season. Thank you for your encouragement and all you share with others. Faith, hope, and love, dear sister in Christ!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...