Wednesday, December 12, 2012

St Nicholas Day in our Home 2012

As late as this may sound I do hope you all had a most enjoyable St Nicholas Day!
I do hope you will allow me to  share some of our day with you here even though many have moved on now, even as we have.
As usual I was up late preparing special goodies for our celebrations and  I was so thrilled with these chocolate St Nicholas.
You may remember that we change chocolate Santas to St Nicholas with the addition of a miter and crook.
In the past I have only been able to find very small santas to work with, less than 5cm high. However this year in fact months ago as I was shopping at ALDI (how I love the opportunities for shopping here in Wagga, even though I detest shopping itself) and saw these Santa's about 30 cm high for only $1 each. I immediately picked them up and had them in storage for all this time.
I can't begin to tell you how much easier they were to change, not nearly so fiddly.
Of course we had to have St Nicholas arrive to fill the stockings and again it has been interesting trying ot fit our traditions into this much smaller house and therefore area to decorate
Here is our table all decorated for the morning. I must confess I was a little tired by the wee hours of the morning and this was the most I could think of.
Don't you love the way St Nicholas stands right there at each place setting

  I or rather St Nicholas organizes the gifts into piles before trekking to the other room to put in the stockings
Our Speculaa cookies- recipe here. They were really lovely using spelt flour and no one could tell the difference
The stockings all filled with goodies


Our children ready to open their stockings in the morning.
Some photos of each of them














Rogan made a St Nicholas Miter very quickly for the morning
Eating cookies
Each St Nicholas evening we make special St Nicholas Hot Chocoate and put marshmallows and a candy cane in each cup

Our books for reaing and the favourite one is The Bakers Dozen which you can read on line here if you can't find a second hand copy

Also here is a script to act out this book ....so cool we may do this one next year
The children than did a St Nicholas Play and this year  it was organised by Eden
The traditional tale of the three girls with no dowry. Interestingly enough this year Arwen was the oldest sister  and Moran was the youngest, never a dull moment here.
ST Nicholas this year was Corbyn and we had many adjustments with his costume.......
Well that about wraps up the celebrations for St Nicholas in our home for this year and we have been busy ever since.
I look forward to sharing some of the other things we have done.......as soon as I can!

Blessings to you and your homes,
 

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Your table looks beautiful, the hot cocoa looks delicious and I love the idea of the St. Nicholas Play!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...