Tuesday, December 3, 2013

First Sunday in Advent - Stir Up Sunday

IT IS TIME!!!!!
The First Sunday in Advent is a huge day in our home.
We have many traditions that typically start on this day and as this year it is a Sunday we also have Stir Up Sunday.
This is primarily an English tradition and the customs surrounding making pudding brings our whole family together as each of us takes a turn to stir the mixture and make a wish and have a little taste as well.
Some people add coins; the finding of them on Christmas day purportedly bringing wealth, health and happiness. I have never been organised enough to find any at the shop ready in time.
So we make pudding each year and put it away until Christmas Day and it becomes our sweets after our main meal.
This is a most loved pudding mix and the favourite part to lick.
I am constantly finding little and not so little people in the kitchen at this point all wanting 'just a little taste.'
It isn't until I get the carrot into the sugar and butter part of the  pudding that it becomes less of a tasty licking item.
Once it is mixed to this stage though (the fruit and flour with the butter mixture) it once again become fair game for all who come near.

Now to share this great recipe which I got from Stephen's mother who I am pretty sure got it from her mother who is now 98!! 
I have changed it a little to suit our family so it is now uniquely ours too :)

Our Pudding Recipe~
375 grams of butter
375 grams of brown sugar
180grams of bread broken into crumbs
250grams of plain flour
3/4 tsp bicarb soda
1/4tsp salt (I  never add the salt)
1/4 tsp Parisian essence
1 large carrot grated
6 eggs
1 dessertspoon mixed spice
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp  ginger
500g EACH of currants, raisins and sultanas
250grams chopped dates
extra 125 grams of sultana or fruit/nuts  of your choice
600g cherries
150ml port or sherry, rum etc. We always use port.

1/ Cream butter and sugar
2/ add eggs one at a time
3/ add grated carrot
4/ add bread
5/ mix
6/ Combine spices, flour, bi carb and fruit together in separate bowl
7/ Add to above mix
8/ Line wet pudding cloth with glad wrap (this makes two puddings)
9/ put into a bowl for the shape and tie glad wrap first then pudding cloth.
10/ leave room for expansion as you tie
11/Boil for 5-6 hour with lid on pan.
12/ Hang over sink (or other to dry out)
The stirring and making a wish is the best part of this tradition in our opinion.
Although I do think the many dips in the bowl with a finger or two might be in the running for this too.

Tomorrow I will start the cooking of the pudding ready for Christmas Day.

Blessings to you and your homes,
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to do this, but the last part sounds scary! LOL How do you store it till Christmas? Is it better the longer you wait? I am totally into this, sorry!

Unknown said...

Nice tradition! Maybe I will try making this pudding this year!

Unknown said...

This looks so yummy! I have most of the things on hand here too, so I think I may try it this weekend for our Sabbath celebrations. :) Have a lovely week ahead ~

Gae said...

Dear Amy,
I put mine in the freezer after it is done and then defrost for Christmas Day.

It keeps a long time and you can actually just cut part of it off if you want just a small piece.

I think it improves with age BUT we have had hectic years and eaten it straight away.

Blessings
Gae

Gae said...

Dear Emily,
I would love to see your pudding when you have finished.
I pray you have a great week too
Blessings
Gae

Gae said...

Dear
Karinaavila68
It is a beautiful pudding and a lovely tradition
I hope you give it a try.
Blessings
Gae

Unknown said...

that's nice! I would love to try too!

thanks for sharing your nice thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...