Thursday, December 11, 2014

Gentle Homemade Deodorant

In August 2013 I started making my own Homemade Deodorant  which those in our family who were willing to make the switch have found highly effective.
Even my husband who was worried about the effectiveness of this, especially over the summer months here was more than completely happy with it.

For a couple of weeks he has been telling me that he is almost finished the last batch I made and really needs some more.

I kept putting it off because although it worked well for me it really did irritate my skin and make me itchy after a few months  (I have quite sensitive skin). Vellvin continued using it and only a couple of weeks ago said that it was starting to irritate her.

In the mean time I have been using another natural, homemade alternative that I have been happy with but Stephen didn't want to use.

So today before I got busy, I put together this deodorant I had planned on making last week, well actually months ago!

Vellvin used it and said it went on very smoothly and easily, in fact smoother than the old one and she has had no reaction to it at all.

UPDATED- March 2015
We found that the deodorant did not keep us as fresh as we wanted and so I have added 2 tablespons of Bicarb to it and that has made it work really really well. It also has not created andy reactions like the only bicarb version I had made previously.
So to the recipe below add 2 tablespoons of bicarb and perhaps another tablespoon of  coconut oil

It has only three ingredients (four if you want) although I have seen different variations and additions to this basic list.
1.  6 tablespoons of Coconut Oil 
2. 3/4 cup of Arrowroot powder
3. 1/4 cup of food grade Diatomaceous earth. 
This is the magic ingredient in my opinion it is  made from fossilized phytoplankton. It’s rich in silica and highly antimicrobial, which is why it works so well. 
It’s pH can vary depending on where it is sourced from, but it is typically lower than baking soda.
I get mine from northern Queensland
4. Essential oil - Tea Tree is good as it also is antibacterial

Method:
1. Combine the two dry ingredients together.
2. Add the coconut oil gradually and stir till you get the consistency you want. Ours is not too stiff, but it is summer here too so the coconut oil is slightly soft.
3. If it is too runny add more arrowroot and Diatomaceous earth in the quantities of 3/4 to 1/4.
4. Add your essential oil of choice. I just add and smell mine till I am happy usually :)
5.  Put into a jar and start to use 

Use:
Take a little on your fingers and rub in under arms.
Use as often as needed but I doubt it would be more than 2x day ( in the hottest summer heat that is how often Stephen used the old version) 
Blessings to you and your homes,
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...