Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Goodnight Kiss

Our children have always said goodnight to both Stephen and I and each other with a goodnight kiss or hug if they are older as they go up to bed.

I will then come and tuck them in and say their prayers, make the sign of the cross on their forehead and ask God to 'Bless you and protect you". Give them a kiss and say goodnight, I love you etc.

It isn't a huge event, although going through all the children takes time and if they go at different bedtimes, (not when they were small and all went together) it can be time consuming just due to the quantity of children.

I have always tried to do this and not get slack with it, lately though I have been due to the way I put Arwen to bed and my own tiredness levels. If I miss saying prayers with them while they are awake I make it a priority to still pray for them and kiss and 'bless' them before my own bedtime.
I found this beautiful song and wanted to share it with you. It really does speak to the heart on the special time it is and the blessings we have as parents to be part of a memorable daily ritual.

Goodnight Kiss by Steve and Annie Chapman
I count it as a privilege
I count it cause for praise
to kiss my children goodnight
at the close of everyday
for I know too soon they’re off and gone
and walkin’ out the door
and I’ll never have a child to kiss
goodnight anymore

It’s very strange how times have changed
from the present to the past
when did they grow so quickly
the time has flown so fast
for it seems that only yesterday
I helped him with his shirt
or pat my baby on the back
or kissed away a hurt

tell the story read a book
wipe a nose or tie a shoe
they never ask me to rub their back
the way they used to do
once it was a bother
just a troublesome kind of chore
now I would give anything
to do it just once more

mommy bounce me on your knee
daddy flip me in the air
throw a rubber ball to me
and help me comb my hair
mommy tickle my tummy
daddy hold me high
let’s go outside for awhile
or make a kite to fly

I count it as a privilege
I count it cause for praise
to kiss my children goodnight
at the close of everyday
for I know too soon they’re off and gone
and walkin’ out the door
and I’ll never have a child to kiss
goodnight anymore

And I’ll never have a child to kiss
goodnight anymore.....

Here is a link to a You Tube version

 Blessings to you and your homes,

3 comments:

Sue Elvis said...

Thank you for sharing this, Gae. God bless

Trish said...

Oh Gae this is lovely!
A little sad but lovely :-)
It must be difficult to do everything you'd like for all your children every day. I'm sure they know how very much you love them!
They only have to read your blog to be re-assured!!
When my youngest son is around he is very affectionate and gives me kisses on the forehead - he's taller than me of course! AND he still asks me to scratch his back or rub his head (he gets migraines).
I take all these as sweet blessings that keep our heart tied close :-)
bless you..Trish

Anonymous said...

I remember those days when my boys will give us a kiss goodnight...now they just give us hugs.

Not the same as a kiss...but at least they are remembering to do this without our promptings.

Feel better dear one. As the day grows nearer, the energy will wane...just take your time and rest.

Maria.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...