Monday, May 21, 2012

"Liza Doolittle Day"

As a family we tend to like quite  a few old musicals and every time we watch My Fair Lady we keep saying we will have "Liza Doolittle Day" on the 20th of May as per the song

Just you Wait Henry Higgins -
Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins, just you wait!
You'll be sorry, but your tears'll be to late!
You'll be broke, and I'll have money;
Will I help you? Don't be funny!
Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins, just you wait!
Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins, till you're sick,
And you scream to fetch a doctor double-quick.
I'll be off a second later And go straight to the the-ater!
Oh ho ho, 'enry 'iggins, just you wait!
Ooooooh 'enry 'iggins!
Just you wait until we're swimmin' in the sea!
Ooooooh 'enry 'iggins!
And you get a cramp a little ways from me!
When you yell you're going to drown I'll get dressed
and go to town! Oh ho ho, 'enry 'iggins!
Oh ho ho, 'enry 'iggins! Just you wait!
One day I'll be famous! I'll be proper and prim;
Go to St. James so often I will call it St. Jim!
One evening the king will say:
"Oh, Liza, old thing,
I want all of England your praises to sing.
Next week on the twentieth of May
I proclaim Liza Doolittle Day!
All the people will celebrate the glory of you
And whatever you wish and want I gladly will do."
"Thanks a lot, King" says I, in a manner well-bred;
But all I want is 'enry 'iggins 'ead!"
"Done," says the King with a stroke.
"Guard, run and bring in the bloke!"
Then they'll march you, 'enry 'iggins to the wall;
And the King will tell me: "Liza, sound the call."
As they lift their rifles higher, I'll shout:
"Ready! Aim! Fire!"
Oh ho ho, 'enry 'iggins,
Down you'll go, 'enry 'iggins!
Just you wait!

So here are some ideas we brainstormed last night:
* decorate hats and have a most beautiful hat contest (reference - is the horse race)
* make a flower shop (our little ones love this) and sell flowers to all comers (reference -obviously the flower selling at the start)
* Have a flower arrangement competition or just beautiful decorations
* make and decorate paper fans (reference - Eliza's Chinese fan)
* play and rhyme with tongue twisters (reference- all the ones Eliza learns as part of her training to speak properly)
* play marbles (reference - the marbles in her mouth- do not try this one, just play marbles together)
* have a horse race:  for each 'horse and rider' you need - one who is the horse with rope around the middle and the 'rider' pulling the rope behind. ( reference- the horse race)
* eat lots and lots of CHOCOLATE ( reference- when she comes to ask for lessons)
* learn some of your favourite songs form the movie or even some of your favourite lines. Here is one by Eliza's father "with a little bit of luck"
* do a vowel in rounds song of your own design ( reference- when Eliza practices her vowels)
* make some raspberry tarts or plain cake (these being two mentioned in the movie)
* drink English Breakfast tea in pretty tea cups (reference - they often drink tea)
* have a tea party with special tea cups and special little cakes (perhaps as above)
* Watch the movie  obviously
* If you can't watch the whole movie look at some youtube clips of your favourite parts
Just you wait (youtube link)
With a little bit of Luck (youtube link)
The Rain in Spain (youtube link)
The Embassy Ball (youtube link)

So there you go. I hope you all enjoy your chance to have Eliza Dolittle Day

Blessings to you and your homes,
 

4 comments:

Denise said...

Amazingly I've never heard that sentence in the song-May 20th-Thanks for bringing it to my attention.What a wonderful idea.It would also be a fun blog party for May 20th.

Autumn said...

I just think on "Liza Doolittle" day we should just eat tons of chocolate!!!!!!! :D
~
Autumn

Sugar Pie said...

Oh Gae,
I think that sounds delightful.
I love all of your ideas.
Chocolate AND pretty teacups, who could want for more??
Take care,
Robyn

Trish said...

I love Audrey Hepburn as Eliza Dolittle.
What a wonderful idea, Gae!
You are always so creative and inspiring :-)
love and hugs..Trish

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...