Thursday, August 21, 2014

Home-made Detangler and leave in Conditioner!!

If you look on the internet for a recipe for detangler you  will find many recipes that are simply commercial conditioner watered down.
As we don't use conditioner like that  normally the whole idea of using it for a detangler was foreign to me.
So I kept looking, let me tell you it took a while, for various herbs and other ingredients that had properties that would be good for a detangler that I was happy to use on my family.
I also wanted to use this as a leave in conditioner for myself and the older girls too.

I have curlyish hair that goes frizzy if I don't do something about it. In my journey to non commercial solutions I have been using Argan Oil that I use daily after wetting my hair, 1-2 squirts and rub through the ends to stop the frizzy.

This is quite an expensive little bottle though. You especially have to look out for  products that only have a part of Argan oil and then add other ingredients. I only use the pure oil. So as part of my detangler  I had to have a  hair product that I can use to help my frizziness.

Through my research I have come up with this mixture below that we are finding works on the most tangled hair, not that we ever get hair like that :)
Of course  we do! We have a head or two of thick wavy hair that it is fantastic on and for our Sensory Defensive girl it is a lifesaver.

Enough rambling about the goodness of this and now to the recipe!

This is a two step process but relatively easy, really it is.... trust me!!

First off you need to make your Marshmallow Root Liquid-
You need:
1.5 cups of water
3 tablespoons  of marshmallow root
Boil the water and then add the root.
Reduce heat and simmer for 20 30- mins
Cool and strain through a cloth

Next  step:
Pour your marshmallow root liquid into a spray bottle
Then add,
2 tsp of Apricot Oil
2 tsp of Aloe Vera
1 tsp of Glycerin
10 drops of rosemary essential oil
10 drops of lavender essential oil
10 drops of sweet orange essential oil

Finally:
Shake, Spray and brush!!!

Oh yes you could put a really cool label like I did on your bottle! Yes I know not very professional, but hey, I was in a hurry to use it for my girls. Just keeping it real here!
I am sure you could easily make one that is far more professional using a picture making programme. Maybe one day I will do that too.

To fill the bottle above I doubled the recipe and then added  a bit of extra water to fill the bottle.
Just give it a little shake before use as it may settle a bit.

If you do end up using this please let me know what you think.

Blessings to you and your homes,
 

1 comment:

Eva said...

That is an interesting recipe! I also have frizzy hair, but also thin and curly hair. Too much oil wears it down. I have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...