Monday, March 30, 2015

Autumn Harvest Apple Tasting Day

Some years ago our children had a wonderful day with tasting the various types of apples that we were able to source. They still have fond memories of this day.

For the last year or two I keep trying to remember to be organised enough to have this again for the pure pleasure of it.
While out shopping last I remembered that we wanted to do this, before the Holy Week rush and so I bought 4 of each kind of apple they had at our local supermarket and a couple of  hybrid Nashi as the children did not remember every having these before.
First I made up a little table to rate our tastings. Each of us had  a sheet each and we marked it as we went along.
Next up I cut up slices of each apple and put on a plate so we were ready to start all at once.
Often preparation is key to the success of these type of activities for us.
Even then I had a little helper who could not wait to get started and was waiting for a 'little taste please?'
 I only cut up part of an apple so we had a few left overs, well to start with anyway.
The cores were added to the continual Apple scrap bucket I have for making Apple Cider vinegar (oops just realised I haven't done the blog post on that one yet)
 Then we all sat down and started on our tasting of the goodies!!
It was interesting to see the differences in the apples and we had some surprises about which were long established favourites and how different they tasted now.
And our results for all to see.
I wasn't sure I prepared the check off sheet off well enough but it certainly was an experience that the children enjoyed and want to do again.

Blessings to you and your homes,
 
Linked to The Art of Home Making Mondays
Linked to  Wise Woman Linkup

1 comment:

JES said...

What a great idea Gae! This would be a perfect activity to go along with our apple unit study. Thank you for taking the time to share this week on the Art of Home-Making Mondays :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...